About Us

The mission of Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay Area is to provide funding for breast health services, breast cancer education and outreach in our community.

Through events like the Komen San Francisco Bay Area Race for the Cure®, Komen SFBA invests 75 percent of the funds raised to support vital local breast health services, and dedicates the remaining 25 percent to national research to find the cures.

Born in a promise between two sisters – Nancy Brinker to her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at the age of 36 – Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting to end breast cancer forever. The Susan G. Komen®  promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures. Because 10 million women around the world could die from breast cancer in the next 25 years without the cure, Susan G. Komen® is fighting every minute of every day to save every life. The more than 100,000 survivors and activists of Susan G. Komen® are the face and voice of the global breast cancer movement – local activists and global citizens who mobilize millions through events like the Komen Race for the Cure Series, the world’s largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer.

With nearly $2 billion invested to date, Susan G. Komene® is the world’s largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to curing breast cancer at every stage – from the causes, to the cures, to the pain and anxiety of every moment in between. Susan G. Komen® has played a critical role in every major advance in the fight against breast cancer over the past 25 years – transforming how the world talks about and treats this disease and helping to turn millions of breast cancer patients into breast cancer survivors.

The San Francisco Bay Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen®

The San Francisco Bay Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen® is dedicated to combating breast cancer at every front. Up to 75 percent of the Affiliate’s net income goes toward funding grants to local hospitals, clinics and community organizations that provide breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women. The remaining net income (a minimum of 25 percent) supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.

Komen SF Bay Area has the distinction of being the very first Affiliate of Susan G. Komen ®. Our Affiliate was founded by Joanne Horning, and her husband Rick, in honor of Joanne’s mother’s battle against breast cancer.

Komen SF Bay Area’s service area covers eight Bay Area counties of Sonoma, Napa, Marin, San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, and Santa Clara. Thanks to the thousands of people who participate in the Komen San Francisco Race for the Cure® and other Affiliate events each year, dedicated corporate partners and generous donors, Komen San Francisco is playing a vital role in fighting breast cancer in our community.